9.28.2004

The wonders of DVR

I used to be somewhat skeptical. My VCR worked perfecrtly well. But my roommate talked me into the DVR. Today after a long brain drenching day, I got home to unwind with a whole bunch of crime dramas that I hadn't seen yet. Two CSIs and two Law and Orders. I have become a procedural drama adict. And thanks to the DVR, it catches when the networks decide to switch their whole schedule around. That's something the VCR never did. Now I'll have move this higher up in my 'to get' list of toys. It would be a DVR plus so much more with the DVD recording capability. I think it used to be working with TiVO, but it looks like that partnership fell through.

So, my "toy" list now consists of a new hybrid bike, the DVD recorder, a couple of computer games I've been thinking about (although starting EQ2 would be a disaster timewise... I need to resist the EverCrack). Of course, there are the other necessities which are calling for money: tuition, car tune up (60K, so its a big one). I also need to get new clothes as a bunch of the stuff I wear is wearing out. I swear the washer/dryer eats my socks not just one at a time, but in 3s. And I could use a reupholstering of my favorite chair. Its probably 35 years old, but its so comfortable. So what if the stuffing has fallen out of the cushions, or that my last attempt to make the chair presentable is now held together by duct tape?

And then I see the credit card bills. And realize it all has to wait for another year or more.

1 Comments:

At 10/01/2004 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sister, I feel your pain!!

And every pay day, it seems the same. Balance checkbook. Pay bills. Try to make the numbers come out with a little leftover to play on the side. But no, the toys gotta wait. The clothes gotta wait. Another day older and deeper in debt, as the song goes.

Ah well, at least we're well educated and have lots of books! :)
-Mary Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home