6.05.2005

A strange 3 days

I don't know why this happens, but it only happens in bursts it seems.

On Thursday I made a small presentation to my bosses (I have two). It dealt with our current, woefully inadequate testing and documentation; the causes of said inadequacies; and a several different plans for how to best redress the problem. We discussed the situation for about two hours and formulated a plan of approach. By the end of the day I had a complete working model for the plan. It had one complete path through the testing/documentation system written with enough detail to be practically a final draft. Major bonus points in the workplace.

Then, Saturday I was at a farewell barbecue for my cousin's husband - being deployed to Kuwait for a year tour. I knew a few people there. Four family members (cousin, her husband, their son, and her father), and a couple of their friends. However, that was about 8 or so of the 50 or so people there.

I went to their house from doing wedding planning, so I wasn't dressed in anything particularly nice: a polo shirt, jeans, running shoes. No makeup. Minimal jewelry. Yet, several people said that I look like a model. Others said that I was beautiful. I mean, this kind of thing basically never happens to me. I mean, I think I'm OK looking, and that I generally look OK enough to forego makeup, but model-like? The only other time I've heard that was at my brother's wedding when I'd just had a major makeover, my hair done, etc.

So, I mingled through the crowd, which for some reason worked much better for me than it almost ever does. I'm not usually a good mingler, particularly when I do not know anyone. But, I was able to strike up conversations with complete strangers on a wide variety of topics. Even on "controversial" topics, like politics, religion, etc, I was able to speak with aplomb, present my views, yet manage to not put them in ways which antagonized those of divergent views (and c'mon, this was a military party... not my usual scene).

At another point, where I was presenting some of my views on politics, several people said that I was so eloquent, and such a unique take on many of the problems that I should write a book on the topics. I know I have an unusual take, since very few people are anywhere near as left-leaning as I am, but, that was quite a compliment. And yes, I was presenting the topics from the point of view of the left, and could in no way be mistaken for a centrist or right wing position.

Today, as I did a 30 miler on my bike, I had the strange effect that most of the guys I passed turned their head to watch as I went by. Again, I was not wearing anything special: padded bike shorts, dry-wick T-shirt, and my new sunglasses (in dark tortoise, with polarized sandstone lenses). I went into a bike store on the way back to pick up some small supplies. The guys working in the shop were practically falling over themselves to help me, and I was only buying a chain cleanser.

WTF is up? This kind of thing never happens to me. In the classes I just finished, when I had something to contribute, I would be practically stuttering. I would couch my views in all sorts of caveats and usually wind up making little sense at all. I was never saying what I intended to say. Suddenly I'm eloquent? And I almost never notice guys noticing me. I usually feel somewhat like an ugly duckling, whom people tolerate as long as I don't get in the way. But, right now I feel just as comfortable in my skin as I always have, but people of both genders are complimenting me. It is so bizarre.

But I think I can get used to being eloquent, intelligent, and beautiful. As long as I don't have to change who I am.

3 Comments:

At 6/07/2005 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY know what you mean...There are just some days when a weird kind of benevolent grace descends. While I enjoy it while it lasts, it also makes me wonder when the other shoe is going to drop.

I do also know though that being happy and relaxed helps create that state of grace. You wouldn't have recently completed something that has been the source of stress lately? Or be preparing for a happy event in the near future? ;) Like saying, finishing grad school and getting close to your wedding day?

 
At 6/07/2005 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

d'oh. that was me that just posted -MAW

 
At 6/09/2005 1:10 PM, Blogger t said...

Yeah. The other shoe dropped Tuesday. Sigh. It was nice while it lasted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home