2.16.2005

Privatizing Amtrak

Yes, Bush has asked that Amtrak get $0 in federal subsidies this year. What a shock. Something that benefits a lot of people, most of whom aren't rich, gets cut. I think he should ban bailouts of the airlines. No more subsidies for airports. I wish I knew the numbers for that. New York State tried a privatized version of Amtrak, on a route that has lots of riders. It failed. See Newsday's article on that.

Do I ride rail frequently? No. Why not? Its priced too high for the time involved. If I were to take rail to Philly (something I've often considered) it costs $48 each way, or if I get a student discount, $81 round trip. The trip city center to city center is about 30 minutes less than driving. The cost of gas is a tank, so $30. The cost of tolls is... well about $7 each way. Valuing my time at a hefty $20 an hour, that makes the center to center trip round trip $64. In comparison, the train trip doesn't take into account the 1.5 to 2.5 hours necessary to get into the center of DC and from the center of Philly out to the suburbs on SEPTA.

If I'm going to NYC or Boston, however, the picture changes. Its $152 to Penn Station round trip, or $182 to Boston. Boston takes ~7.5 (6.5 on acela) hours. New York ~4. Driving takes substantially longer, unless done to completely avoid anything near rush hour (3pm to 8pm).

When I have taken a train, its usually in the NYC and north region. I wouldn't even consider driving into NYC. Well, ever. $20 per hour parking? I'm taking the train.

If roads were made to reflect the true cost, noone could afford to drive unless they were rich. Same with flying. Get rid of the subsidized airports, and only the very rich will be able to fly. Why is train service singled out? The rich don't ride it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home