7.29.2005

Paranoia Agent

I was watching Adult Swim last night, and there was this very interesting anime called Paranoia Agent on. I was web-surfing so I might have missed parts.

Basic gist (for the one episode I saw):
Four women meet outside an apartment building, three of them are middle-aged, and seem to be rather close friends. The fourth was hanging on, trying to fit in. They were exchanging stories about the source of this guy who's been going around clubbing people with a baseball bat.

[story 1]
A mother is living with/visiting her son and his wife. The son is at work. The mother is upset with his wife for not being a traditional Japanese wife, and decides to instruct her on proper behaviour. After a little while the wife is completely fed up. She grabs a wood cooking utensil and glowers at the mother. The doorbell rings. Mother and wife both run to the door screaming 'Toshi' for their son/husband. Door opens, and its Li'l Slugger, on roller skates and brandishing a semi-broken baseball bat.

[story 2]
Its a baseball game. The pitcher is not doing well, late in the game. He goes to pitch, and there at the plate is Li'l Slugger.

At this point the fourth woman claims that that couldn't have happened because everyone would have known about it. The three women friends close ranks and all agree that they know the story because they were at the game.

[story 3 - this one made the least sense to me]
A woman is pregnant. She had been about to try in-vitro, but then she got pregnant. The assistants in the doctors office are telling the doctor that the woman was impregnated with the wrong fertilized egg (didn't get where the wrong egg came from). The doctor tells the assistants that they are not going to reveal to the woman that the embryo is not hers. The woman goes home happy. A few months later she's back complaining about severe pain from the pregnancy. The doctor is in a visible sweat, saying that everything's ok because its her baby. He pulls up the ultrasound and inside the woman is Li'l Slugger, complete with roller skates and broken baseball bat.

The three women say that the fourth woman made the story up and it wasn't a good story anyways.

The fourth woman goes home. She opens the door. Her husband is lying on the floor, bleeding profusely. She becomes excited and asks him 'how did this happen'. He responds: 'Slugger. Call an ambulance'. She asks again, 'No, tell me how he did this.' Her husband seems to fall unconscious.

[/end show]

I think there was another story in there but I cannot remember it. But I have to admit I am intrigued by this program.

4 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've caught an episode or two of PA, and it leaves me faintly baffled, despite the following URL:
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/paranoia/index.html

But I've become quite fond of FLCL, Robot Chicken, Inuyasha, and Samurai Champloo on the Cartoon Network.

I'm getting caught up/oriented on Inuyasha and Samurai Champloo (and Ghost in the Shell) courtesy of Netflix.
I think I'm going to have to watch FLCL a couple more times to feel like I actually get it, but it's been fun exploring anime....

-MAW

 
At 7/30/2005 7:07 AM, Blogger t said...

The show's website seems to have a little more info than the cartoon network's one. This particular episode got my attention as it was a very meta episode.

I like Inuyasha, although at times it feels like a bad teen novel, I've only seen Samurai Champloo once.

If only they'd get rid of the aqua teen hunger force which annoys me. I'm usually watching Family Guy or Futurama or American Dad after the Daily Show.

 
At 10/28/2005 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi t
I never realised that so many different types of blog would show up if I did a search on something like kids recipes. I'm still not sure how well Paranoia Agent fits into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

 
At 10/30/2005 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello t
And G'day from Downunder. I was hunting around the web for stuff on kids recipes when I came across Paranoia Agent. It's just amazing what these searches turn up. I'm not sure I'm finding what I need, but I'm having a lot of fun. Have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home