8.24.2005

Wedding things grow closer

I just realized that its the end of August. It seems like just last weekend my parents were in town, although that was almost a month ago.

I need to meet with Jim about what exactly will take place in the ceremony, although it will probably just be a simple, standard Presbyterian one. The vows are fairly simple (done twice):

Reverend: Do you, _______, take _______ to be your wife/husband? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her/him, forsaking all others and holding only unto her/him?
Bride & Groom: I do

None of the annoying obey stuff (like I would say that anyways), and really shorter than a lot of the other denominations. But I have to figure out what readings / poems I would like. I want to tone down the mention of god, but I realize that since it is a nominally religious ceremony it will be mentioned.

Sometime in the next 5 weeks I have to go to New Jersey for pre-Cana so we can get Catholic dispensation for the wedding. Not that there's going to be a priest at the wedding, but because it makes Chris' mother happy. And I really don't want to start off by pissing off my MIL.

The only "traditional" parts of the wedding are going to be the ceremony section (relatively speaking), the first dance, and the father/daughter - in combo with mother/son. Its sort of a tradition, but I like this one: the anniversary dance. That's the one where everyone who's married dances and as they hit the 'anniversary' (the DJ/band leader calls it out) they step off the dance floor. The last couple on the dance floor gets the bride's bouquet.

My wedding coordinator was telling me about some of the other customs. For those I've heard of, I see no point in doing them. For others that I've never heard or (shoving cake into each other's faces???? WTH???) they're not allowed.

I'm also working on the 'banned pieces' list:
Pachelbel's Canon [I'm so sick of this piece I never want to hear it again]
Chicken Dance
Hokey Pokey
Celebration
Electric Slide

And the special dance list:
Tonight (Bernstein/Sondheim)... I think, haven't completely decided.. for first dance.. if I can find a version that's just the duet. I just love that musical.
What a Wonderful World (Armstrong) for father/daughter mother/son....

1 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cake smooshing thing just makes me livid....it's so disrespectful!

so you're not going to toss the bouquet/garter? (somewhat of a relief to some of us singletons...at kashi and diane's wedding, keri and i hid under the table)

another song to ban (since you seem to be nixing all the silly group dances) might be the macarena...there's also another one similar to the electric slide that's sort of big, but i can't remember the name of it off the top of my head...

--MA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home